So, my computer has been updating itself for over an hour now. Probably longer than that, given when I turned it off last night it said update and turn off. The one thing I have learnt from this is that I am incredibly impatient. Which is why I am doing this blog post on my tablet and typing on the incredibly small screen keyboard.
Though I suppose I am slightly more patient than I was ten years ago when I would have just have restarted the computer forcing it to abandon the update process.
It’s all relative I suppose, like all things. The cold and cloudy days that were a perfect excuse to spend the weekend on the couch sewing are an annoyance now I have to leave the house to go to work in the morning. At least I got a chunk of quilting done.
I was feeling a bit inadequate because my shower was leaking and I thought I would put on my big girl, home owner pants and change the washer myself and failed miserably. It’s not that hard I thought – after watching one how to video on you tube. Well, I tried and nothing went at all like the video. For a start someone had glued my tap to the wall. I finally got it off after what felt like 2 hours of chipping off rubber glue, and unscrewed everything and realised it didn’t look anything like the video and the bit that the video guy was pulling out of the wall, was not coming out of the wall. I was briefly tempted to just keep hitting it with a hammer until it came out but resisted on the grounds that I didn’t want to damage the pipes and make my shower unusable for weeks. So I retreated and called a plumber.
I’m feeling slightly less like a plumbing failure now, because the plumber took one look at it and said – you don’t see that very often. Apparently I had ceramic taps and they don’t even have washers. I didn’t know that was even a thing. Though it did mean the whole inner tap needed replacing. Still waiting for the bill, but now my shower isn’t leaking and I can get back to doing other cool stuff, like knitting a scarf and hand quilting the quilt that had been sitting half done in the cupboard for far too long.
The weather is finally turning cooler here. So much so that I have had to drag myself out of bed the last couple of mornings. It is however perfect weather for hand quilting as I can tuck myself under the quilt to keep warm and sew away. Even better because I am not doing so well on my no/less TV watching pledge and at least if I am watching something I can feel like I am being productive at the same time when I am hand quilting. So I rescued a half quilted quilt from the cupboard where it has been sitting since last winter, and got stuck in last night. .
It was the perfect end to a day that involved an outing to one of my favourite places – the botanic gardens. They have an auditorium there which different plant groups use for putting on shows and exhibits and yesterday it was the rose society. Here are some pics just to spread the joy. It makes me realise I need to take better care of my rose plants.
I have been trying to make a curtain for my bathroom window, and not having much luck. I suppose it does the job, but I just can’t get it to hang right. I suspect the material may be a bit too heavy for the hanging string and I may have to install a proper curtain rod, which is not as easy as it sounds because it’s not a standard sized window so I am going to have to build my own.
My hat knitting skills are thankfully much better and I managed to finish this one over the weekend. Now I just need to find a recipient who isn’t going to freak out over the hand wash only thing.