I don’t think its uncommon for long-time sewers like myself to have a scrap system, though I know some people would think mine is a little too serious or rigid.
To start with everything gets put in a small basket. Small because once the basket is full it gets cut up into standard sizes and if the basket were too big it would be a marathon effort. As it was I think I spent about 5 hours cutting scraps this weekend.
While it seems tedious its a good activity to do when I am feeling uninspired or not sure what project to tackle next. I cut into 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 inch strips, 5 inch squares, 3 1/2 inch squares and 2 inch squares. The idea being that one day I’ll have enough to make some delightful scrappy quilts. They also come in handy for other crafty purposes such as making bags like this one.
When I bought the pattern I was tossing up between the pattern and a kit which came with a lovely selection of Japanese fabrics. I ended up going with the pattern because I realised hexagons was a great use of some of my 3 1/2 inch squares.
During my recent trip to a craft show in another city I found myself buying a lot of kits. That’s not something I have really done before because I am notoriously bad at following instructions, preferring to figure things out for myself and add my own unique stamp to them as I create. However, because of a combination of work and other activities I have found I have been lacking the time, energy and the motivation to create. I had a pile of half-finished projects and no inclination to work on any of them. I suspected the kits would be a quick and easy way to inspire me to get creative again without having to put too much thought into what I was doing and how I was going to do it, but wasn’t sure. Thankfully my instincts were right on this one and after a couple of cute Christmas decorations I was on my way and I finished a bag and a little jumper for a lady at work who is having a baby (the jumper is for the baby not the lady).
After a couple of weeks of rain, my garden is starting to recover from months of dry. So, nature is creating as well. All the roses are blooming in my garden, and the Grevillea by the drive is positively flourishing.
Back in October I won a kit at the craft fair that involved sticking little dots on a canvas. Almost like paint by numbers but with shiny dots. I finally got round to doing it this week and was pleasantly surprised. I expected it to be a bit boring but it was strangely relaxing and provided I had something on tv in the background I was quite happy to do it for a few hours at a time. That said, I wouldn’t have wanted it to be much bigger if for no other reason that by the end I was getting a serious shoulder hunch going on. Here is the finished product.
This week, I also managed to finally finish the bag I cut out back in October.
My last day at work was yesterday and I am on holidays for the next two weeks. I’m looking forward to the break and to getting a plan together for next year.
Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas and New Year.
So, I’m still working on the ugly zip theme, and experimenting with making different kinds of mini bags. I’m quite pleased with the fabric I got to go with the green zips. Other than that it’s been a pretty quiet weekend, watching some movies and finishing knitting a hat. Now I’m working on a scarf from the same wool.
My no TV thing worked ok during the week, though I don’t know that it made me more productive.
After weeks of avoiding my sewing room, I finally finished my new bag. Of course as soon as it was finished I remembered that I was going to make a flap for a button. Determined not to let it dampen my spirits though. The bag will work perfectly fine without it and it just gives me an excuse to make another, especially since it was made from scraps from other projects and I still have plenty left.