Procrastinating again


I am procrastinating again, and the main cause seems to be this thing.


It is part of a kit for a bag, and the next step requires me to free motion round the flowers and to draw the stems and leaves. Free motion quilting is not one of my strengths and my machine doesn’t do it well, struggling with tension. I know I should just get on with it, but it was quite an expensive kit and very beautiful and I really don’t want to ruin it. Right now however, I am off to plan my dinner.


I can’t believe it’s May already


This year my goal was to try to post every fortnight, but time keeps getting away from me. I can’t believe it is the start of May already. We are already in the fifth month of the year and while I have been getting some things done, I suspect it will be Christmas again before we know it.

In the spirit of time flying, over the last few weeks I have been working on a kit I got at the craft fair. These cute little felt Christmas stockings were quick and fun to make and will look great hanging on a bookshelf or the tree.


Both me and nature creating things


During my recent trip to a craft show in another city I found myself buying a lot of kits. That’s not something I have really done before because I am notoriously bad at following instructions, preferring to figure things out for myself and add my own unique stamp to them as I create. However, because of a combination of work and other activities I have found I have been lacking the time, energy and the motivation to create. I had a pile of half-finished projects and no inclination to work on any of them. I suspected the kits would be a quick and easy way to inspire me to get creative again without having to put too much thought into what I was doing and how I was going to do it, but wasn’t sure. Thankfully my instincts were right on this one and after a couple of cute Christmas decorations I was on my way and I finished a bag and a little jumper for a lady at work who is having a baby (the jumper is for the baby not the lady).

After a couple of weeks of rain, my garden is starting to recover from months of dry.  So, nature is creating as well. All the roses are blooming in my garden, and the Grevillea by the drive is positively flourishing.

Weekend Away


I’m just back from 2 and a bit days in Adelaide. It was a flying visit to the Adelaide Craft and Quilt Fair and a catch up with my sister and her family.

I won’t share pictures of the quilt show. The highlight of the show was a display of quilts by Danny Amazonas and I’m sure there are plenty of photos of his work already online, along with other photos of the show. Here instead are some photos of my sightseeing. It’s a city with a lot of character and if I had more money I may have come home owning a very lovely old building.

Knitting cos it’s hot


I only have air-conditioning in one room of my house, the living dining area. Fixing that is on my very long list of house jobs because I have a tin roof and this place heats up something shocking in summer. Normally it doesn’t bother me too much though, it just means that for a couple of months of summer when it’s really hot I move all my craft stuff to the dining room table and work there until the office is bearable again. It’s not a bad system and the move back is a bit of a cue to tidy up my craft space and reorganise all my supplies. About three weeks ago things started to cool down a little and I moved everything back to the office, had my big tidy up etc.

Today we were back to 39C (that’s 102 for any fahrenheit people who might be reading this) and it looks like it is going to be crazy hot all week. I’ve been too lazy to move my sewing machine back out of the office so I have been knitting instead, because its portable and the baby jumper I am knitting for a pregnant work colleague is easily managed and doesn’t leave me draped in hot fabric or wool.

I’ve almost finished the back, but better get a move on as the new mum’s maternity leave starts in April.




Still having fun with my new camera, though my walk yesterday got cut short because part of the path was closed. We think the closure was due to an influx of these lovely fruit bats who were roosting in large numbers in the trees.


My big job for today was tidying up and reorganising my sewing room/study. It took way longer than I thought it would and I’m not entirely happy with where somethings ended up but overall the space is now more usable and tidy enough to work in. At least it is done now and I can get on with some knitting.





I’ve always loved photography, but drifted away from it over the last couple of years as my gear became old and damaged and rarely performed the way I wanted it to. A few weeks back however there was a pretty good sale on, and a slightly different job at work had left a little extra money in my savings account, so I indulged in a new camera.

Now I’m not the world’s fittest person, but my work is currently having a fitness challenge where work teams collect points for various healthy activities. I decided to combine my desire to contribute some team points and my new camera and took myself for a long walk round the botanic gardens this morning. It was a very pleasant distraction from my to-do-list.